top of page
Confirmation 1919_edited_edited.jpg

BUILDING ON HOPE:
A brief history of Trinity Lutheran Church, Mt. Healthy

On August 25, 1853, a small group of German Protestant families came together to establish “Die Evangelische Lutherarische Dreifaltigkeitsgemeinde” in Mt. Healthy, Ohio.

 

The early years were anything but easy for this congregation. For many years, worship was led by visiting pastors from neighboring Protestant churches, making it difficult to form a strong identity. A turning point came in 1883 when the congregation became loosely affiliated with the Evangelical Synod of North America.

 

In 1886, a parsonage was built and remained in use until 1964 (pictured below, left). Four years later, in 1890, a new church building (pictured below, left) replaced the original Trinity Hall, which had stood since 1853. Trinity Hall continued to serve as an educational and recreational space until both it and the 1890 church were demolished to make way for the present sanctuary, completed in 1928 (pictured below, right).​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

oldchurch_edited_edited.jpg
Red Black Minimalist Running Athletic Club Logo_edited.jpg

The bell that rings at beginning of the 8:30 a.m. worship today is the very same bell that once hung in the 85-foot steeple of that original little church. Since 1891, its sound has rung out hope for generations of Trinity members. How fitting that the Sunday School children who purchased the 1,007.5-pound bell for $219.50 in 1890 named it “Hoffnung,” the German word for “Hope.” The title image above is from Trinity's 1919 confirmation class.

For many years, Trinity’s pastors were called from the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod of Ohio and other states. That synod became part of the American Lutheran Church in 1931, and Trinity joined that body. In 1960, the American Lutheran Church merged with other Lutheran denominations to form a new American Lutheran Church. Then, in 1989, another merger created the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), of which Trinity is a member today.

​​

Additional land was acquired in 1940, and plans for expansion began, but completion was delayed by World War II and its aftermath. The first educational unit was dedicated in July 1953, and the final building was completed in March 1964. Since then, Trinity has purchased additional properties behind the church to expand its community outreach.

Trinity has also been active in other kinds of building—building faith and mission. Since the mid-1930s, the congregation has placed strong emphasis on missions, mothering five neighboring congregations: Atonement Lutheran Church (closed 2024), Augsburg Lutheran Church, Faith Lutheran Church (now NALC), Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, & Hope Lutheran Church.​​

Today, we continue that mission through free community meals, a community garden, ministries for young mothers and their babies, blood drives, youth mission trips, and more.

Trinity’s beautiful stained glass windows were installed when the current sanctuary was built (1927-28) by The Von Gerichten Art Glass Company (now Franklin Art Glass Studios in Columbus, Ohio).

TIMELINE

August 25, 1853 – A few German Protestant families unite to establish “Die Evangelische Lutherarische Dreifaltigskeit Gemeide” in Mt. Healthy, Ohio.

1853 – Trinity Hall is built as the first worship space.

1883 – The congregation becomes loosely affiliated with the Evangelical Synod of North America, helping shape its identity.

1886 – A parsonage is built (used until 1964).

1890 – A new church edifice replaces Trinity Hall; Trinity Hall remains for education and recreation.

1891 – The church bell, purchased by Sunday School children for $219.50, is installed in an 85-foot steeple. They name it “Hoffnung” (“Hope”).

1928 – The present sanctuary is built; Trinity Hall and the 1890 church are razed.

1931 – Trinity joins the newly formed American Lutheran Church after the Evangelical Lutheran Joint Synod merges.

Mid-1930s – Trinity begins emphasizing mission work, helping start and support four neighboring congregations.

1940 – Additional land is acquired for expansion; plans delayed by WWII.

1953 – First educational unit is dedicated.

1964 – New addition is dedicated; parsonage retired.

1960 – The American Lutheran Church merges with other Lutheran bodies to form a new American Lutheran Church.

Since 1964 – Properties behind the church are purchased for expanded community outreach.

1989 – Another merger forms the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), of which Trinity is now a member.

2008 – New Gathering Space is dedicated

Today – Trinity continues its mission through free community meals, a community garden, ministries for young mothers and babies, blood drives, youth programming, and more.

bottom of page